The Leagues provide its Member's First philosophy in communicating "real time" comprehensive news and information. We focus on strategic, operational and the philosophical values of our membership. We work to advocate your interests, and position our member credit unions at the "top" of the financial services community.
View the latest news about credit unions in California, Nevada, and around the nation.
Find current and archived issues of the Leagues' award-winning magazine.
Take a visual journey and explore the faces behind the California and Nevada credit union movement at a number of events, meetings, fundraisers, and conferences!
Catch up on what California and Nevada credit unions are accomplishing within their communities every month!
REACHING OUT TO LOCAL COMMUNITIES
11/04/14 11:27 AM
CUs Spread Their Philosophy
Scroll down to view the latest on how credit unions and industry affiliates across California and Nevada are donating time and money to help the communities they serve, implementing new operational strategies for members, and advocating for the credit union movement!
Click to view the latest Member News
From the Editors of CU Weekly
CEO BOOT CAMP TRAINS CUs FOR SUCCESS
|Small credit union CEOs, California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues staff, and presenters from the National Credit Union Administration and CUNA Mutual Group pose for a group photo during NCUA's first-ever "CEO Boot Camp" at the Leagues' office building in Ontario, CA.
05/07/13 10:58 AM
Variety of Topics Covered
Small credit union CEOs from California attended the first-ever CEO Boot Camp event last Saturday, hosted by the National Credit Union Administration's Office of Small Credit Union Initiatives (OSCUI) at the California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues' headquarters in Ontario, CA.
Representatives of NCUA's OSCUI division, the Leagues, CUNA Mutual Group, and credit union CEOs came together for a day of training, delving into issues that small credit unions face every year, and discussing best practices for achieving success.
During the event, the following speakers presented:
- Martha Ninichuk, deputy director of OSCUI, shared how CEOs can tap into the wealth of resources available to credit unions at OSCUI, why the CEO Boot Camps are being held, and what small credit unions can expect.
- Holly Herman, CEO of Achieving Skills.com, provided her perspective—backed by more than 25 years of insight—on how individual credit unions can build a foundation for long-term survival. She gave practical tips designed specifically for credit unions under $50 million in assets.
- Todd Olszowy, CFO and vice president of finance for Water and Power Community CU, talked about credit unions' development, adoption, and implementation of policies and procedures relative to internal controls. The discussion included a focus on risk assessment, costs and benefits, asset preservation, fraud detection and prevention, and NCUA examinations.
- Eric Bruen, CEO of Desert Valleys FCU, and John Meeks, CEO of San Gabriel Valley Postal CU, shared insights on succession planning, internal controls, and how they have overcome their own unique obstacles to grow their credit unions.
- Joette Colletts, regional manager of CU Protection Risk Management for CUNA Mutual Group, addressed EPL issues to help credit unions avoid exposure to potentially crippling losses. She talked about why Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) claims have risen to record levels in recent years, while also covering employment practices and recruitment (staff, volunteers, and board members).
To view some of the presentations from the days' event, click on the links below:
Click here to see Martha Ninichuk and OSCUI representatives' presentation.
Click here to see Todd Olszowy's presentation.
Click here to view John Meeks' presentation.
Click here to view Eric Bruen's presentation.
Click here to see Joette Colletts' presentation.