The Leagues provide its Member's First philosophy in communicating "real time" comprehensive news and information. We focus on strategic, operational and the philosophical values of our membership. We work to advocate your interests, and position our member credit unions at the "top" of the financial services community.
View the latest news about credit unions in California, Nevada, and around the nation.
Find current and archived issues of the Leagues' award-winning magazine.
Take a visual journey and explore the faces behind the California and Nevada credit union movement at a number of events, meetings, fundraisers, and conferences!
Catch up on what California and Nevada credit unions are accomplishing within their communities every month!
SENATOR HOLLY MITCHELL
|Team Mitchell left to right: Myriam Valdez, Legislative Aide, Senator Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles), Tim Shelley, Rules Committee Consultant, John Skoglund, Legislative Aide, and Rodney Wilson, Senior Legislative Advocate, California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues.
06/22/16 02:17 PM
Senator Holly Mitchell
and her staff accepted this year's Credit Union SacTown Run trophy as the winning legislative office. Team Mitchell represents the victorious team of participating California state legislators and their staff who ran in support of local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMN) alongside credit union leaders, volunteers, and employees.
Click to view the latest Members in the News
From the Editors of CU Weekly
SHAPIRO SUMMIT PREPS CUs FOR FUTURE
|Attendees of the 2014 Shapiro Summit, an exclusive event for small credit unions in California, pose for a group photo during the annual event.
08/12/14 10:15 AM
Tech, Marketing, Non-Interest Income
Leaders came together last weekend in Sacramento, CA for the 2014 Shapiro Summit at a time when small credit unions face an important crossroads in technology, marketing, operational efficiency, and regulations.
To view photos, click here!
The annual event for California credit unions $50 million and under spotlighted how to stay current with the changing world of financial services as different generations of credit union members and consumers enter new stages of their lives. Baby boomers and Generations X, Y, and Z were in focus as attendees collaborated and brainstormed on how to best meet each group’s needs while surviving and thriving in a challenging economic environment.
Several participants found the answers they were looking for while engaging in group discussions on everyday issues that small credit unions face—or at the very least, they discovered nuggets of information and resources to implement at their individual credit unions. They heard from:
- Bob Arnould, senior vice president of advocacy for the California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues—Arnould addressed the importance of advocacy at the state and federal level as credit unions navigate a new world of laws and regulations.
- Larry Palochik, senior vice president of member solutions for the California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues—Palochik discussed the Leagues’ five business units—Image Arc Marketing Solutions, C-Sun Studios, CURoots Services, CUVitality, and Professional Solutions—and ComplySight, a new comprehensive solution for compliance professionals.
- Brad Ganey, senior vice president and COO of Catalyst Corporate FCU—Ganey talked about how to tackle information technology challenges through outsourcing and allow staff to redirect resources to member-focused objectives. He touched on cloud computing strategies and what’s most appropriate for security-minded financial institutions.
- Patrick Redo, CEO of All U.S. CU, and Diana Michaels, CEO of Western Healthcare FCU—Redo and Michaels gave an important project update on how small credit unions can generate fee income. The Shapiro Advisory Committee has been researching ways to help small credit unions increase non-interest income and reduce expenses to promote a healthy bottom line, while remaining member friendly.
- Suzanne Leedale, CEO of SLO CU, and George Sun, Manager of Image Arc Marketing Solutions—Leedale and Sun explored how social media should be used at small credit unions to engage members.
- Gordon Fowler, CEO of 3fold Communications—Fowler touched on how credit unions face the task of serving and attracting five generations of consumers, and how those individuals feel and act within the world around them. All generations value authenticity, transparency, accountability, and protection of privacy.
- Erick Orellana, deputy commissioner for the California Department of Business Oversight—Orellana gave an update on the health of state-chartered credit unions across California and how the DBO is reaching out to help those needing guidance and resources. He said the agency is working on developing systems to spend less time at credit unions to save time and resources on both sides of the table.
- Michael Dyer, associate regional director for the National Credit Union Administration (Region V)—Dyer updated attendees on how NCUA—specifically Region V—is working with credit unions and gave insight into the broader supervisory function of the agency.
Tina Torres, CEO of Limoneira FCU, was the recipient of this year’s Cathy Arra Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship was created in memory of longtime Shapiro Group manager and League employee Cathy Arra, who passed away in 2011.